Job Opening: Student Assistant and Co-Editor of Culture Shock
This is a unique opportunity for a student of Italian to work closely with faculty and staff of the department, acquire skills that will greatly increase job opportunities after graduation, while learning more about opportunities in the community and abroad.
Term: 5- 10 hours per week starting in January 2013 but with introduction in December. Candidate must be able to work during Spring semester 2013 school year (holidays excluded) and preferably until December 2013. Preference will be given to a student studying Italian.
Salary: $9.75 per hour.
- Publish the Culture Shock blog (https://cultureshockumn.wordpress.com/);
- Put out FRITnews, the departmental e-mail list. This requires adding and deleting new members to the list, sending out messages to students about scholarships, internships, employment opportunities, cultural events, tutoring, study abroad and more;
- Recruit qualified undergraduate Italian majors/minors for the tutoring program, and organize the tutoring program itself to match the wishes of the tutors and the students they tutor;
- Organize and facilitate weekly Italian conversation group
- Other duties as assigned.
- Declared Italian or Frit major or minor or upper division French major/minor who will NOT graduate until Spring Semester 2013, preferably later;
- Leadership abilities;
- Experience with Microsoft Office (mainly Word and Excel); Excellent communication skills, including good writing skills;
- Detail oriented, and capable of keeping a tight schedule;
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
- Ability to share work and be a part of a team;
- Ability to have fun!
PREFERRED, BUT TRAINING WILL BE PROVIDED:
- Some experience using internet applications
- Basic knowledge of Adobe PhotoShop.
To apply, please submit a resume and brief cover letter describing your interest, background, and vision for Culture Shock blog to: Professor Judith Preckshot, Department of French and Italian at firstname.lastname@example.org . Please direct any questions to current co-editors at email@example.com.
Deadline: November 19, 2012.