The Department of French & Italian is looking to hire a new student assistant for French for the 2013-2014 school year. This is a unique opportunity for a student of French to work closely with faculty and staff of the department and acquire skills that will greatly increase job opportunities after graduation, while learning more about opportunities in the community and abroad.
- Publish the Culture Shock blog (https://cultureshockumn.wordpress.com );
- Put out FRITnews, the departmental e-mail list. This requires adding and deleting new members to the list, sending out messages to students about scholarships, internships, employment opportunities, cultural events, tutoring, study abroad and more;
- Recruit qualified undergraduate French majors/minors for the tutoring program, and organize the tutoring program itself to match the wishes of the tutors and the students they tutor;
- Organize and facilitate weekly French conversation group
- Other duties as assigned.
Term: 5- 10 hours per week starting in Fall 2013 but with introduction this May. Candidate must be able to work during the 2013-2014 school year (holidays excluded) and longer, if possible.
Salary: $9.75 per hour.
- French or Frit upper division major or minor who will NOT graduate until Spring Semester 2014, preferably later;
- Leadership abilities;
- Experience with Microsoft Office (mainly Word and Excel); Excellent communication skills, including good writing skills;
- Detail oriented, and capable of keeping a tight schedule;
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
- Ability to share work and be a part of a team;
- Ability to have fun!
- Preferably some experience using internet applications
- Preferably basic knowledge of Adobe PhotoShop.
To apply, please submit a resume, transcript (unofficial is okay), and brief cover letter describing your interest, background, and vision for Culture Shock blog to: Professor Judith Preckshot, Department of French and Italian at firstname.lastname@example.org . Please direct any questions about the position to current co-editors at email@example.com.
Deadline: April 10, 2013.