Find language, culture and miscellaneous resources here for both French and Italian.
French Language Resources
- Grand Robert de la langue française Accessible through the UMN libraries via UMN login, the largest, most comprehensive online French dictionary with French entries and French definitions.
- Word Reference Dictionaries Contains over 250,000 entries, as well as a useful forum where specific sayings or idioms are available for reference.
- Conjugation engine Website dedicated entirely to charting the conjugation of French verbs, particularly useful when double-checking or revisiting the forms of irregular verbs or less commonly used tenses.
- Tex’s French Grammar Outline of French grammatical concepts, designed by the University of Texas at Austin. A useful tool for extra practice and reinforcement; after each grammar section, there are about 10 extra practice questions.
- Larousse French to French dictionaries, encyclopedias.
- ARTFL Extensive database of digitized French documents, compiled by a cooperation between the French government and the University of Chicago. Through the ARTFL-FRANTEXT database, students may search for key words or phrases from documents ranging from the 12th-20th centuries. Useful when looking for additional context from a quotation, author, or passage discussed in class.
- Bon Patron Basic grammar engine that will point out — but not correct — possible grammatical errors in small chunks of text, from the perspective of French to English and English to French.
French Culture/Local Resources
- U.S.-French Embassy cultural website
- Alliance Française de Minneapolis/St Paul
- French Consulate-Chicago
- Culture Shock Music Highlights Playlist!
Italian Language Resources
- Word Reference Dictionaries Contains nearly 200,000 entries, as well as a very useful forum where specific sayings or idioms are available for reference.
Italian Culture/Local Resources